WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY DIVISION
Guided by the mission, vision, and values of the Office of the Attorney General (AGO), the mission of the Washington State University Division of the AGO is to provide WSU, a leading land-grant research institution, with top quality, comprehensive and professional legal servcies so that the University may achieve its mission and goals in an ethical and lawful manner.
1) To help WSU personnel make intelligent, well-informed decisions by:
- Routinely providing advice/education on substantive areas of the law regularly encountered at research institutions, such as export control, risk management, sexual harassment, FERPA compliance, research compliance, etc.;
- Providing targeted/problem-specific advice and counsel;
- Assisting in identifying and recommending appropriate ways to mitigate risk;
- Supporting WSU's routine business needs; and
- Assisting in the resolution of legal disputes.
2) To provide WSU with high quality legal representation when its decisions result in litigation.
WASHINGTON STATE OFFICE OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL
As an independent constitutional office and legal counsel to state government, we serve the citizens of Washington with the highest standards of excellence, ethics, and effectiveness.
The Office of the Attorney General will be the best public law office in the United States, proudly contributing to the greatness of Washington.
All staff in the Washington Office of the Attorney General are guided by the following core values - "THRICE."
= Excellence + Effectiveness
- Transparency: The processes by which we arrive at decisions should be transparent to AGO staff and the public.
- Honesty: We should be honest with each other, the press, public, and opposing counsel.
- Respect: We should maintain respect for our staff and the diversity among them.
- Innovation: We encourage innovation in office practices and in providing counsel to our clients.
- Competition: We believe in competition in the best sense of that word -- looking for the competitive edge in litigation, being prepared to compete for and retain the best lawyers and staff, training to stay competitive in emerging technologies, and investing in infrastructure to stay competitive.
- Ethics: In all our dealing with the public, the courts, opposing counsel, and each other, we maintain the highest standards of ethics.